What To Expect
When you take a Skill Enhancement Session at the Riding Academy you’ll:
- Work individually or in a small group with a friendly, patient, and skilled RiderCoach.
- Ride without formal tests, only friendly coaching tips.
- Get on-range instruction from Instructors Certified by the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA), Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and H-D®.
- Practice basic skills like using the friction zone, clutch throttle control, starting and stopping, and keeping the motorcycle upright.
- Earn your RiderCoach's endorsement to enroll into another New Rider Course with a 50% discount.
Quitting is not the Harley way.
Skill Enhancement Session FAQs
How do I register?
Email riding academy manager Buzz Williams with your original course date, coach names, and a request for a skill enhancement session.
I don't see skill enhancement sessions on the course schedule. When are they offered?
Because skill enhancement sessions are individualized, we schedule them on a case-by-case basis. These are usually scheduled on a Saturday or Sunday between 1PM-5PM. Riders may request a specific RiderCoach or our Senior RiderCoach Buzz, who specializes in working with riders who need extra help.
What will I need to register?
- You'll need to have partially completed Day 1 riding exercises in a New Rider Course within the same year.
- Your coach's recommendation.
- New registration forms will need to be completed.
Do I need any special gear?
You'll need to bring the following:
- A heavy, long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Jeans, chaps, or leather pants
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear
- Full-fingered gloves
- A helmet that meets DOT requirements
- Chesapeake Harley-Davidson Riding Academy is an independent training center under contract with the Maryland MVA.
- Our curriculum is developed developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation® and the Maryland Motorcycle Safety Program.
- Partial completion of Day 1 riding exercises in a New Rider Course is required to participate in this course. Successful completion qualifies you to enroll in another New Rider Course with a 50% discount.
- Chesapeake Harley-Davidson reserves the right to decline enrollment into a skill enhancement course based on a coach's determination that the rider presents a high risk of serious harm to self or others. The riding academy manager's decision is final.
The Skill Enhancement Session includes:
- A brief administrative meeting to sign registration forms.
- 4 hours of riding exercises on our closed course with hourly breaks in our air conditioned rest area.
- Attend all riding sessions on time.
- Meet riding exercise objectives.
- We allow enrollment without payment up to 14 days before class.
- Business Manager Debbie will call and email about 3 weeks before class with pre-course homework including paying and picking up your course materials from the dealership, signing legal forms, and getting all required gear for the course.
- Payment may be made with cash or credit card at the motor clothes desk when you pick up your course materials. You may also pay by phone with Debbie at 410-893-2493.
Refund & Cancellation Policy:
- The Chesapeake Harley-Davidson Riding Academy (CHDRA) allows you to enroll online for a limited time without payment.
- CHDRA will reserve your seat up to 15 days before the class without payment.
- CHDRA reserves the right to withdraw you from the course if payment is not made by cash or credit card on the 14th day before the class begins, or any day after.
- Once the course fee has been paid, CHDRA does not offer refunds. If you are unable to attend your scheduled class you will have the opportunity to reschedule and attend another class during the current riding season. Once the current riding season ends you will forfeit the cost of the course.
Our Flexible Schedules Fit Your Busy Life